Sunday, April 6, 2008

Powerlifting Style Workouts

For nearly 6 months i have been training with HIT alone. I felt that i need to do something different in order to retain the same interest towards the sport and started eying the sport of POWERLIFTING.

So I contacted all the powerlifting friends of mine and gathered information about their training methodology. And framed my own routine.

Generally the powerlifters train one day for power and the other day for speed on each moves. I made little modifications to it.

Here is an outline of my schedule..

Monday - Heavy day - Chest, Shoulders, Triceps & Abs
Tuesday - off
Wednesday - Heavy day - Legs, Back & Biceps
Thursday -off
Friday - Light day - Chest, Shoulders, Triceps & Abs
Saturday - Light day - Legs, Back & Biceps

Heavy day :
On heavy days i concentrate only on training heavy. My rep range is between 3-8. I concentrate only on the basics like Bench press, Push press, Deadlifts, Squats, BArbell curls & Lying triceps extensions on these days.I push upto 5 sets on the core lifts and use one isolation movement for a set or two to get the final pump in the muscle.

Light day :
On light days i just concentrate on getting 10 reps out of a movement in which i can max out 13-15 reps. This day is only for getting the muscle pumped and to hit the muscle from a different angle and to bring in some variety to the workout. The speed workout of the powerlifters also looks similar to this and they use the speed workouts to recover their nervous system damage imposed on the heavy days...

What is the result ?
My power is sky rocketing in all core lifts. My deadlifts jumped from my all time best of 200 to 220 for one rep max.

Here i attach two videos of my deadlifts recorded with a mobile on 2nd April 2008.




Let me see how long this powerlifting training takes me....

4 comments:

  1. Can you tell me if this training split that benefitted you will benefit even new comers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zahan

    am not in a bulking diet but very much a clean maintenance kind of diet..

    but i could see a lot of growth and fat loss too

    ReplyDelete
  3. what about the difference in weight for hevay day exercises and lightday exercises
    will that be the same?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amarnath,

    lift weights that u can rep for 10

    cheers

    ReplyDelete

Google Search

Google