Sunday, January 20, 2008

Stiff legged deadlift – A more effective approach

In my recent blog I just explained about a better way to squat, a overall leg builder. But this time I just thought of revealing a small trick about developing a really overlooked muscle – “The hamstrings”.

It was about 2 years ago, I saw a person. I saw his face for 2 seconds and till the end of our conversation just saw his humongous legs. Especially his hamstrings. So during the end of our conversation, I asked him about his ham workout. He told stiff legged deadlifts in all workouts. I asked,” can u demonstrate it for me? ”. He did not hesitate and showed me how he did that. He kept two small plates on the floor. Placed his toes on it and did the normal dead lift.

The very next day I tried it the same way he told me to do. I felt my hamstring working right from the first rep. But in the traditional stiff legged dead lift I will fell my hamstring during the end of the set. From then on I never did the traditional stuff. And my under developed hamstring came proportionate to my quads in a matter of 3 months. Just thought this might be useful to those who desperately wanted to improve their hamstrings. So here we go….

So now let me explain the exact way to execute it and then explain you why this thing works better than the traditional way of doing it.

How to do?

Place two 25 pound plates touching each other (one for each foot). They should be right beneath the barbell you will be using for the exercise and placed side-by-side so you can set your feet on both of them.

Stand in front of the barbell with your feet half on the plates and half off. The front parts of your feet will be on the plates and your heels will be on the ground.

Now bend over and pick the bar with an overhead grip. Keep your knees in a locked position but with a little bend. Always look forward while coming up and going back down.

Pick up the bar slowly from the ground without any momentum till your upper body goes little bit above parallel to the floor and don’t go any further in the motion. The real stretch of this exercise is between this positions and the starting position. If you go any further up to an upright standing position you loose tension on the hamstrings and the intensity of the workout is reduced.

Come down slowly, being absolutely sure to keep the arch in your lower back. Hold that stretch at the bottom position for a moment or two then reverse the direction without bouncing.

Repeat this for some 8-20 reps. If you do this correctly with control without cheating, I am sure you will not be able to walk without a support after your workout.

Try this and you will be amazed with the results.

Scientific reason for the effectiveness of the position:

To understand the effectiveness of the workout let us see the anatomy and biomechanics of each muscle involved in this movement.

The stiff legged deadlift places maximum stress on the muscle at the maximum stretch position. So in order to intensify the workout and for maximum gains we must maximize the stretch at this position.

The hamstrings are tied up with the hips and gluteus, so bending the hips places a very good stress on the muscle. So that’s how the traditional workout was formed. But if we watch closely the calves are also tied up to hamstring and while stretching the calves we stretch the hamstrings also. So if we place our toes in an elevated position we automatically stretch the lower part of the hamstrings. And if we bend our hips and reach down we stretch the middle and upper parts of the hamstrings. So we stretch all the parts of the hamstrings together and place maximum load on the muscle. When such load is placed on the muscle the hamstring has no other go but to respond to the stress and grow big to withstand the stress on the next workout session.

So try this for yourself and I am sure you will be wonderstruck with the results.

8 comments:

  1. Dear Murli,
    I have been reading your articles on orkut and on this blog since long. And I am very much impressed with your training principles and with the knowledge you have about bodybuilding science. I myself is into bodybuilding and that too natural. Like you only.
    Here, after reading this post of yours, I feel like sharing my experience with u regarding stiff legged deadlift. I tried this exercise and have found it very effective. But, in my opinion, two sets of this exercise are enough for our hams to stimulate the muscle growth. In my last workout, I did three sets of this and two brutal sets of seated leg curls. 10 days passed, my hams were still not recovered and soreness was still there. These two exercise in combination if done intensely, are damn effective to make ur hams grow like anything.
    Thanks for ur great advice on this topic. Please share ur email id. I would like to ask few suggestions regarding bodybuilding to u. Hope u dont mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chetan,

    thanks a lot for the complements and congrats for being a natural bb.

    just click on the contact link on top of the blog and it will show you my mail id

    it is bigleemurali@aim.com

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can this be done with squats on leg days?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Suraj,
    ya you can do it as part of your hamstring workout along with leg curls

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi murli

    i m mohsin,28 years old, i m doing bodybuilding since 4-5 years, but i cant dovlep my forarms and arms and shoulder and caler soulder.
    plz suggest to me wht shoukd i do for inmproving these things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi mohsin,
    to build all that you said you need to concentrate on your core and improve your lifts..

    cos in my experiecne, rather than trying to build arms we over train them and stop the grwoth

    so concentrate on bench pressing, military pressing and deadlifts.

    believe me, these gave me the kick start in shapping up a broad shoulder and a decent structure... many do not stress on the basics and get frustrated with results.


    concentrate on the basics and you will love the results

    bench press and military press -shoulder and the basic volume in tirceps. plus if you do normal triceps workout - it will shape it well

    deadlifts builds the neck and entire back and forearms

    so go heavy on basics

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. salam bhai jan
    i am ali from, pakistan 4 year ago i used to to bodybuilding and have good shape and good growth .but after that i leave it for year and not use properly .
    i am stiffed upper hipped which join to low back area..
    both of my side are stiffed when i move left and righ..
    how can i overcome to stiffed legs join to hip
    thanx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kamran bhai,

    First of all i would suggest you to get in touch with a sports medicine doctor in your locality.I can simply suggest you some moves, but i may not be aware of all your reflexes and medical conditions.

    In general with a good sports med doc on your side and following his advise on rehabilitation, you should be able to do your regular workouts in less than 3 months bro...

    cheers,
    Biglee

    ReplyDelete

Google Search

Google