Friday, January 18, 2008

Shut up and squat

This time I just thought of explaining a little trick in doing the king of all exercises…. Ya, the Squats. As every true bodybuilder knows, squat is the exercise which distinguishes the wannabes and the big boys. There is no doubt with the name given to Squats “The king of exercises”, because it is the best. They not only work to increase muscle-mass in the lower body, they also have a beneficial anabolic effect on the entire body. They have actually been known to increase the hormone levels in the body. So why skip your leg workout and complain about your hormone levels. Shut up and squat regularly to sky rocket your hormone levels.

Recently I’ve been writing a lot about the high intensity training. Here is an easy way to increase the intensity of a regular squat. You can combine this technique with the pre-exhaust or the drop sets which I explained in my earlier blogs. Some of you might already do this, but here is a “how to do” just in case if you don’t do this.

Do your regular warm-ups. On your working set, drop your weight by some 10%. Perform your squats as usual, squat as deep as possible but with full control. I always suggest people to squat below or at least up to parallel in full control without momentum. Here is the trick – instead of locking out your knees at the top of the movement, try to maintain continuous tension on your muscle by stopping shot of lock-out position and slowly squat back to as deep as you can. Repeat this for a set of about 8-20 reps without locking your knees. At the end of the set you will feel as if your quads are going to explode. Scientific studies have shown that legs respond better to high reps, so try to do a few more reps to your legs in comparison to your upper body exercises.

Try using this with other HIT methodologies to get maximum results.

Have a blast on your next leg workout.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Murali

    This is my query about squats. I do leg exercise only once per week. My routine is like this
    3 sets of 12 reps FULL BACK SQUATS
    3 sets of 12 reps FRONT SQUATS(I find very difficult to maintain good form and high intensity)
    3 sets of 12 reps HALF SQUATS(this is done with the maximum weight, most intense)
    3 sets of 12 reps LEG EXTENSION
    3 sets of 12 reps LEG CURL
    3 sets of 12 reps CALF RAISE

    Each week I increase the load.

    This Friday I increased the load from 35 kgs(previous week) to 40 kgs.[this is the combined weight plates for both side + the weight of the bar is 10 kgs, so it makes 50kgs] for BACK FULL SQUATS
    Similar stats for :-

    FONT SQUATS Prev Week: 19 kgs This week 20 kgs
    BACK HALF SQUAT Prev Week: 52 kgs This week 55 kgs

    My legs gave up after the 2nd set of half squats and I could not complete the rest of the workout.

    After my leg workout I cannot walk properly for 3 – 4 days. I get immense pain while sitting down or getting up. I cannot run or play but none the less I am most happy and satisfied that I have done an intense workout which is showing up its after-effects.


    Now my question is this workout and progression OK?
    I cannot get this same after workout pain and soreness in case of chest, arms, abs or shoulders or back. Why? How is it achievable? Pre-exhaustion or Drop sets? I tried drop sets on arms but could not get even a one day long pain.

    I know I post long queries but hope you find it easy

    Regards,
    Surya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suraj,
    one thing i would suggest is - all your rep ranges are around 12. But in general you have two muscle fibers in each muscle. The fast twitch responds better for heavy load and the slow twitch responds for longer duration of tension.. So i would suggest you to pyramif your squats..

    Something like SQuats - 4 x 12,10,8,6
    In which you will constantly increase the load each set....

    As the legs have lots of muscle compared to other bodyparts - it takes more time to recover.. And there is nothing to worry.. This muscle pain when fed well - will result in great muscle growth..

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please also respond to this question

    I cannot get this same after workout pain and soreness in case of chest, arms, abs or shoulders or back. Why? How is it achievable? Pre-exhaustion or Drop sets? I tried drop sets on arms but could not get even a one day long pain.

    Sorry for again asking the same thing

    Regards
    Surya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suraj,

    The muscle pain that you get is not actually muscle pain alone... it is nervous pain.. Nervous failure gives you a good pain bro..

    And the pain persistence depends on the muscle fiber composition and the workout that you do..

    If you do a good workout - even without any advaned strategy you will have muscle soreness for the next day..

    I feel that you are not using enough poundage to feel the pain

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Murali,
    I am recently started squats on smith machine but need guidance from you. When i put my lower neck/upper shoulder under the bar, the instructor asks me to stand in such an angle that my feet are almost a feet ahead of the bar on my shoulder. This actually makes me off balance and results in heavy leaning on the bar to make sure I do not fall off.

    The reason he(instructor) gives is that this ensures that the back does not bend during squat.
    Should I do this or give up and start doing the normal squat without using the smith machine?

    Regards

    Kunal

    ReplyDelete

Google Search

Google